Type 0 Fighter Model 62 (Fighter-bomber)
|Coastal Defense Ship||Destroyer|
|Light Cruiser||Torpedo Cruiser|
|Heavy Cruiser||Training Cruiser|
|Aviation Cruiser||Fast Battleship|
|Light Carrier||Standard Aircraft Carrier|
|Armored Carrier||Seaplane Tender|
|Submarine||Aircraft Carrying Submarine|
|Submarine Tender||Fleet Oiler|
|Repair Ship||Amphibious Assault Ship|
The Zero Fighter with bomber specifications, commonly known as a "fighter-bomber".
A hanging 250 kg bomb has been added under the fuselage of a Model 52 Zero. As a fighter-bomber aircraft, it is a multi-role fighter that can participate in dogfights as an air superiority fighter after bombing. That paradigm of engagement is not usually seen!
- July 2013 Ranking Reward for Top 500.
- September 2013 Ranking Reward for Top 20.
- October 2013 Ranking Reward (4th-20th place only).
- November 2013 Ranking Reward (4th-20th & 101st-500th place only).
- Buildable as of 26 February 2014.
- Development requires at least 10 , 30 , 10 , 30 , with Bauxite as primary resource for a drop rate of 2%. Isolated reports exist of successful development with Ammo as primary resource at probability ~ 1%. No reports exist of successful development with Fuel/Steel as primary resource.
- Participates in air combat phase.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Collection/EnemyShips' not found.
On October 20, 1944 the first Special Attack Unit was established with the Zero as its "Special Attack" weapon of choice. Newer models were mounted with a bomb rack and mounted with 250 kg bombs which resulted in the conception of the Model 62 and Model 63 Fighter-bombers. During the Battles of Leyte and Iwo Jima, Special Attack units managed to sink US carriers. During the Battle of Okinawa, British carriers only suffered slight operation disruptions due to their armored flight decks, while American carriers that suffered more damage would retreat as the US fleet had the capacity to send ships for repairs without disrupting their operations rendering these attacks ineffective in the final stages of the war.
The Model 62 Zero is basically a Model 52 Zero equipped with a bomb rack placed under the plane replacing its external fuel tank for a 250 kg bomb. Therefore the aircraft was equipped with a Sakae 31A engine capable of reaching 1,130 hp at lift-off, the plane had a top speed of 542.6 km/h at an altitude of 6,400 m, it was capable of reaching an altitude of 6,000 m in 7 min 52 s, possesed an armament of two Type 99 Mark 2 20 mm cannons and three Type 3 13.2 mm machine guns.
- Before the formation of Special Attack units, pilots had made deliberate crashes as a last resort when their planes had suffered severe damage and they did not want to risk being captured, or wanted to do as much damage to the enemy as possible, since they were crashing anyway; such situations occurred in both the Axis and Allied air forces. These suicides were seen as "individual, impromptu decisions by men who were mentally prepared to die".
- The 1st Air Fleet commandant, Vice Admiral Takijirō Ōnishi, decided to form a suicide offensive force, the Special Attack Unit. On October 19, 1944; in a meeting at Mabalacat Airfield near Manila, Onishi told officers of the 201st Flying Group headquarters: "I don't think there would be any other certain way to carry out the operation, than to put a 250 kg bomb on a Zero and let it crash into a U.S. carrier, in order to disable her for a week."